Saturday, March 19, 2022

My Haftseen... 2021

In 2021, I had just moved into my new unfinished cabin, but I still set the haftseen table. (https://afarinrava.blogspot.com/2022/03/haftseen.html)

Living in the woods, in Arkansas, I didn't -- and still don't -- have access to some of the items people normally include in their haftseen, so I got creative with other words starting with s in Farsi.




I had the vinegar, apple, coins, garlic, and sabzeh. I grew the sabzeh myself... as I have done every year.

Two items were missing, the senjed and the samanoo, not available in any stores around me. I had a picture of senjed in the postcard I included. The little girl -- cartoonized Noosha -- is holding a bowl full of senjed. I used sumaq, a spice, which many Iranians use in their haftseen, instead of samanoo.  
(https://afarinrava.blogspot.com/2022/03/samanoo.html)
I couldn't make the samanoo because I didn't have a stove yet... and I still don't. 

I added a watch, which starts with s in Farsi, and which I've never seen anyone use as a haftseen item, just for good measure, in case anyone argued that a picture of senjed didn't count.

I set everything on top of a termeh, a beautiful handwoven cloth, and took pictures to remember this year, when the only thing in the cabin that was done was my haftseen.