Sunday, August 25, 2024

Hobbies

A few months ago, I did quite a bit of gardening, and lately I've been playing with watercolor. I've noticed several similarities between these two activities: They both offer creative, therapeutic, and engaging experiences. 

Both activities allow for personal expression and creativity. With both, I make choices that reflect my style and preferences: in gardening, by the way I arrange the plants, and with watercolor, by the way I mix my colors. 

Both gardening and playing with watercolor require patience. Plants take time to grow, and watercolor often involves waiting for layers to dry. 

Both are somewhat unpredictable. A plant may evolve in unexpected ways due to weather or growth patterns, while watercolor paint can blend and flow in surprising ways, creating unplanned effects.

Both activities can be meditative and relaxing, requiring presence and focus on the task at hand. The repetitive motions of planting or painting can help calm the mind.

These parallels make both gardening and watercolor painting rewarding and fulfilling activities.